Budgeting: Cleaning and Laundry Style

Welcome to the final installment of our Budgeting Series. This has been a short series dealing with saving in the kitchen, heating, and now with cleaning and laundry. There are many ways to save money, but these three areas are the biggest money guzzlers we all have problems with.
Budgeting Series: Laundry and Cleaning Style l christianladiesnetwork.com


Budgeting: Cleaning and Laundry Style


For my final installment on frugal living, I'm going to tackle cleaning and laundry. I'm going to list what I use, as well as some homemade alternatives. I've made the Natural Cleaner before, and it is good, however it kills cheap spray bottles. Next time I have an empty spray bottle, I may make some up and then alternate between homemade and store bought cleaners. I have not made the detergent or stain remover, but they are recipes from friends of mine.

Laundry:
  • We use Purex Hypo-Allergenic liquid detergent, it's cheap and it doesn't break me out.
  • I also use Vivid non-chlorine bleach. Again it's cheap and it doesn't break me out.
  • For fabric softener, my local store has a store brand that is unscented and works. I use that.
  • Vinegar can be used in the rinse cycle to soften fabric. It also removes soap build-up from clothes
  • Homemade Laundry Detergent
    Grate a bar of castile soap. Or use a laundry bar soap such as Fels Naptha or Zote. Dump the grated soap in a margarine tub, scoop out 1/4 cup and store the rest on your utility shelf - enough for 3 more batches.

    In a pot, put the 1/4 cup of grated soap and a couple mugs of water - melt them on the stove. Keep and eye on them so they don't boil over. Turn the stove off when it's starts boiling, then stir and stir until it's clear and dissolved. Dump in 1/4 cup of washing soda and 1/4 of borax. Stir and stir. Pour while warm and fluid into the old detergent bottle (take that stupid pour spout out first - wedge it out with a knife - it's useless) then top it off with warm water. Shake well. Store. Shake well before each use.
  • Homemade Stain Treatment
    1/4 cup dishwasher detergent (liquid or powder)
    1/4 cup clothes washing detergent (liquid or powder)
    1/4 cup vinegar

    pour into a spray bottle, add warm water to fill up. Shake before every use.

    Use to pre-treat stains, for really tough stains, let soak overnight.
  • Hang Clothes to Dry
                    Not everyone has the yard for a clothesline and that's okay. Hanging clothes on hangers                       throughout a room or even using an adjustable clothes dryer will save money.
Cleaning:
  • I have just started using the Green Works cleaners. Maybe not the cheapest, but they don't have a strong scent and they don't bother my skin.
  • For quick wipe downs I use ammonia and water in a spray bottle. I also use this for cleaning mirrors
  • I also use Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castille Soap for cleaning my kitchen and bathroom floors.
  • Natural Cleaner
Fill your spray bottle with 3 cups HOT water, then add:
• 1 teaspoon borax
• 1 teaspoon washing soda
• 1 tablespoon liquid Castile soap (Dr. Bronners)
• 1/2 cup vinegar (kills mold/mildew)
Shake well before using.

Budgeting: A Series l christianladiesnetwork.com

3 comments:

  1. Great tips! I use natural cleaners from Melaleuca, and I also use alot of baking soda.... I find it cleans better than just about anything. You can mix baking soda & dish washing liquid to make a paste...it works great! I got that tip from another blog awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info, thanks for sharing. Cleaning naturally is the way to go. You can save money, reduce waste, promote a healthy home and prevent watershed pollution. For many years I used an old spray bottle with homemade recipes taped to the side. Then, last fall, I bought a kit of 'recipe' spray bottles (www.safespray.com) from my kid's 5th grade 'green' fundraising campaign. I kept a couple bottles for myself and gave the rest to friends and family. Vinegar, Borax, baking soda, lemon juice and a good plant-based liquid soap are all you need!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your article very attentively really this is very article.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Christian Ladies Network and for commenting. We do reserve the right to remove any comment that is negative towards the Bible and the Christian faith.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...